As 2022 comes to an end, I was reminded by one of my educator colleagues that it’s important to pause and take stock of what I’ve accomplished this year. Initially, I didn’t want to do it because I’ve felt like I’ve fallen off in doing this side educational work in many ways this year. But, as I look to the changes coming down the pike, I realized it might be helpful to acknowledge the work that has been done (no matter how small it feels) in order to make sense of the work that is on the horizon.
So, what have I accomplished this year as an LGBTQ+ Educator?
- Co-presented a GLSEN PD on LGBTQ+ competency to educators in the School District of Philadelphia (SDP)
- Returned to the human sexuality program at my alma mater to present on the history of the bisexual+ movement
- Added three more websites to my list of spaces where I’ve been quoted as an expert on LGBTQ+ topics
- Trained approximately 130 school counselors on supporting LGBTQ+ students in SDP
- Presented my retooled session on supporting LGBTQ+ students at the PA School Counselors Association (PSCA) Conference
- Co-presented a PD on SDP’s transgender and gender non-conforming student policy with colleagues at my job
In the midst of all those accomplishments in this lane of my work, I have also renegotiated my relationship with social media, left a job that wasn’t a good fit for me, started my dream job as a high school counselor at a public school, rediscovered how much my mental health is connected to how well I take care of my body, written a heck of a lot, reconnected with national bi+ community organizing spaces, explored what intentionally pursuing school counseling community can do for my work, navigated my changing relationship with God, and begun to dream bigger as I look to 2023.
So much has happened over the past year that I believe has prepared me for what’s next. That’s why I also wanted to spend this final post of the year preparing you for what’s coming as it will mark some notable changes from how I’ve existed online since I created this website.
Some changes you will be seeing throughout next year:
- An increased focus on creating & promoting new educational resources and learning opportunities!
- More reflections about media that is speaking to me!
- A website revamp to better reflect the direction my work is heading!
- Regular updates on my most ambitious project to date: a memoir!
Keep your eyes peeled as these and other changes rollout gradually in 2023. I’m looking forward to having a productive, empowered 2023 and to finding more ways to connect and reconnect with many of you throughout this process!
I will see you in the new year!